WikiQueer Operations includes all of the technical aspects of WikiQueer. Such as our web server, collection of web sites, bots, software and other elements of WikiQueer's technical infrastructure.
Operations Working Group
WikiQueer's Operations Working Group coordinates the technical aspects of WikiQueer never seen by editors or readers, but necessary to keeping our sites online.
These volunteers work collectively to:
- Keep our server operating and up to date
- Maintain the MediaWiki installations powering our wiki sites
- Develop or install additional MediaWiki extensions as needed or requested by the WikiQueer community
- Respond to technical requests or inquiries from the WikiQueer community
- Represent WikiQueer at technical functions, such as Wikimedia Hackathons
- WikiQueer Lead Administrator
- Gregory Varnum (WikiGregory)
- The representative of The Aequalitas Project trusted with access to wiki administrator and system administrator tools to manage WikiQueer.
- WikiQueer Deputy Lead Administrator
- Tom Morris (Tom)
- WikiQueer Global Advisory Board Representatives
- Guillaume Paumier (GPaumier)
- Daniel Renfro (Drenfro)
This documentation is to help members of the working group in their activities. Some of these contain sensitive information that would be valuable to hackers. Therefore for security reasons, it may be documented on WikiQueer's Meta Site rather than on the public WikiQueer sites.
- Creating mailing lists
- IRC bots
- LincolnBot - WikiQueer's main site bot - LincolnBot
- SPAM - information and documentation on technical side of fighting SPAM and vandalism
- SSH into Linode server
- Upgrading MediaWiki and extensions
WikiQueer utilizes a virtual private server (VPS) owned and operated by Linode. The VPS is setup with an operating system and base system installation customized and maintained by WikiQueer. It runs nginx, Memcache, MySQL, PHP5, FastCGI, MediaWiki, WordPress, mailman, and related software running on an Ubuntu installation.
The Aequalitas Project and Host4u2 utilize shared web server space owned and operated by Host4u2. It is an Apache web server setup operating Aequalitas Project's main website and websites for the Project's other programs. WikiQueer manages The Aequalitas Project's website, running Drupal and CiviCRM, for the purpose of fundraising for WikiQueer.
While the English WikiQueer is the primary WikiQueer site, there are additional websites used to assist the WikiQueer community. The servers and software for these sites is maintained by WikiQueer's Operations Working Group.
- Primary WikiQueer website - home of the world's queer encyclopedia and resource hub
- WikiQueer Lambda Site
- Used by WikiQueer's Operations Working Group to test wiki related software, such as future MediaWiki versions and MediaWiki extensions under consideration for deployment on WikiQueer
- WikiQueer Meta Site
- Wiki used by the Global Advisory Board and Aequalitas Project management to coordinate oversight of WikiQueer and conduct private business (such as finances and draft press releases)
- A search engine to locate content on LGBT specific websites which may serve as reliable sources for WikiQueer articles - powered by Google's Custom Search service
- WikiQueer Maps
- Provide maps and related information specific to the queer community - powered by OpenStreetMap and Leaflet
- WikiQueer's Blog
- Blog used to publicly communicate utilizing a blog format - powered by WordPress
- WikiQueer Listserv
- Hosts WikiQueer mailing lists - powered by mailman
- WikiQueer Test Site
- Used by WikiQueer and Content Partners to house non-wikicode related content needed for WikiQueer related activities
- Aequalitas Project homepage
- Houses WikiQueer's fundraising platform - powered by Drupal and CiviCRM